Kettenwagen- windscreen cover.

Small update on the Kettenwagen project.
I decided to change one of the headlights for the damaged one. The front cover was taken out, and insides were drilled. Lightbulb was made from clear sprue, and bulb holder from thin copper tubing.

Couple of small brackets on the bonnet were made, and windscreen was covered with thin alu foil immiating canvas.

Few leather straps complete the canvas windscreen cover.

U-552 Rigging cont.

For some time i was thinking about best possible way to make the rigging for my U-552 model, and finally it looks like i have found it.

Read more here

Sentry- rickshaw

One of the things that will find its place on the "Sentry" diorama, will be Warsaw`s rickshaw.
I will be using Tamiya`s German soldiers with bicycles set enriched with Lion Roar photo etch set designed for this kit.

Legends Comrade, mon armour will provide the passengers for the rickshaw.

Riskshaws seat was scratch built using various styrene sheets.


Sentry- phone finished.

Telephone body was painted XF-64 red brown.
After the paint had cured i made some wood grain using the tip of the sewing pin. Then the box was painted using selection of oil artistic paints ranging from German Ochre, through Faded Dark Yellow to Dark Rust.

Sentry- telephone.

While waiting for the Green Stuff on the pigeon to cure i killed the time scratch building the telephone.

Sentry- scratching the pigeon.

Using the Green Stuff paste i scratched the pigeon. The tail, and the wings are mae from beer can. Legs and feet are soldered using 0,150 copper wire.

Sentry- sentry box finished.

Weathering of the sentry box finished. I have added few bird droppings to the roof aswell.

Sentry box- gloss and wash.

Box has received the coat of gloss varnish, and first dark wash to highlight the gaps between the timbers.

Sentry box- paint chipping.

I started to chip the paint on the box. This time with no surprises.
Hairspray applied in small quantities allows to achieve delicate chips.
Now i will seal it with the varnish, and use some washes.

Sentry- repaint.

During the paint chipping process it downed on me, that i used too thick a layer of the hairspray.
The paint chipping wasnt easy to control, and i decided to repaint the box.
When i stripped all the paint i had the idea, to replace one of the boards for the unpainted, salvaged one.

Sentry box- chevrons.

First i have sealed the wood effect with Testors dull cote.
Then the layer of hairspray went on. My wife let me use her industrial strength hairspray.
When the hairspray was almost dry i covered the box with Tamiya XF-2 flat white.

To paint the chevrons i made the mask using thin styrene sheet. Red colour (XF-7 flat red tinted with smoke X-19) was pained first.

Sentry- base coat, and filters.

Base coat applied.
I used Tamiya acrylics to paint the old wood effect, and then randomly changed the hue with various Mig filters.

Sentry- felt roof.

To make the felt roof i used the 1500 grade water sandpaper. Layers are overlaping each other just like on the real roof.

I also drilled few holes and glued in some nails (copper wire 0.150). After the glue had set, the excess was cut, and surface was sanded a bit.


Despite having few projects on the go i decided to try myself against other model builders in the diorama competition on PWM forum.
The subject of the dio will be the german sentry. I will scratch build the sentry box, the barrier- which will be raised, and i also will include the Tamiya pushbike enhanced with the Lion Roar set.

The figure i chosen is from Hornet.

I started work by scratch building the sentry box. I used the sheet styrene to cut the panels, and scribed the wood texture.


U-552 saga continues.

All the small projects have been put on hold, and im taking advantage of few days off work to make some progress on the U-552. Read more at:

Kettenwagen- canvas.


I decided on the folded roof.
First fold was created using alu, and lead foil.

Update on 31 august.

Canvas was folded, and some junk added. Not sure just yet about the layout, but sort of like this.

Kettenwagen- Tow hooks.

Tow hooks were drilled, and crossbar was made from brass tubing- slightly indented to indicate the damage.
Small loops were made from 0,10 mm copper wire.

Kattenwagen- Jerry can.

Edit on 17 August.
Jerry can mounting bracket update, and the can cap upgraded.